Sunday, September 27, 2015

Zippered Laptop Case

Hello, hello!

This weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to do no school work, YAY! In light of my open schedule I was able to do some fun DIY projects with my good friend. I not only had a great time with my friend, but sewing was very relaxing and therapeutic. Well, except for when I had to rip out large portions of seams more times than I would have liked.

For the past few months I've been looking to buy a new laptop case because the one that I had originally bought does not fit my computer very well and is so thin that it doesn't offer much protection. However, all the cases I could find were $30+ and I couldn't justify buying one right now.

I immediately took advantage of my open weekend and decided to take on the project of making a custom fit laptop case. I was pretty nervous because my experience sewing with zippers is minimal and whenever I have taken on large sewing projects my mom was always there to help me through.

This project cost me $9.00 total for the fabric and zipper. I found the fabric at Walmart and was pleasantly surprised by the fabric selection at that store in my town. I chose a pretty grey, white, and turquoise pattern with a matching solid lining.

I followed this Zippered Laptop Sleeve pattern by STITCHED by Crystal. Her pattern was super easy to read and she provided great pictures to go along with it!

I did make a few alterations to the pattern in order to fit my needs. I added two layers of batting to protect my laptop as I walk to class in the subzero temperatures that are so common here during the winter months. I also extended the zipper farther down the sides of the case for better ease of access.

There may have been a little screaming and a few tears, but here is my finished laptop case! I am super exited about how it turned out and I can't wait to use it!







2 comments:

  1. It looks great!! I'm having the same issue with my new laptop. It doesn't fit the case I had for my old one (its about two inches too big!), but I can't find any decently priced ones to fit my new, extremely large laptop. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sabra! I totally understand. My laptop is a weird size too, so making this one on my own was the best option I could come up with!

      Delete